How many times have we purchased something, encountered a situation or looked around at where we were in life and thought, “this does not look like what I thought it would?” Well I am there! When our season of transition began more than a year ago we had it all planned out and pictures in our head to fully support that plan. But, our situation is currently not at all what we thought it was going to be BUT we believe it has been divinely desgined as God would have it be.
I was reminded when reading Isaiah a few days ago that God’s purpose for me and my family has been determined long before we ever began to walk in it. God isn’t surprised by our pictures not matching up to His plan. I rather think He is quite amused at how we always rush to bring the way and the how to the plans and opportunities He provides…silly us thinking we have control 🙂
Isaiah 49:1-3 says, “Listen to me, you islands; hear this, you distant nations: Before I was born the Lord called me; from my mother’s womb he has spoken my name. He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver. He said to me, “You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will display my splendor.”
I believe that as much as Isaiah is referring to Jesus in this scripture, it is also a word for believers today. A reminder that God:
- Has predestined us – vs. 1, “…Before I was born, the Lord called me; from my mother’s womb he has spoken my name…” God intricately designed us and named us for the purpose in which He created us.
- He protects us – vs 2, “…in the shadow of his hand He hid me…” He has protected us from all the things we have already overcome and He promises to do the same as we move forward into His promises for us.
- He prepares us – vs 2, “…he made me into a polished arrow…” He is constantly preparing us for where He is sending us. He is refining our character and our ways so that we are fully prepared to do what He has planned for us to do.
- He positions us – vs 2, “…and concealed me in His quiver…” God positions us right where we need to be when we need to be there. He will move us when He so desires and He will steady us when needed. He sees what is ahead and knows your best position…trust Him.
- He gives us PURPOSE – vs 3, “…He said to me, ‘You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will display my splendor.” God wants just as much for you to step fully into your destiny as you want to go barreling towards it. But without His protection, His preparation and Him positioning us…we are ill equipped to fulfill what He has purposed us to do.
The plans that we make for ourselves, on our best day, pale in comparison to the plans the Lord has for us. He is always working, moving and fighting on our behalf and all we have to do is listen to His voice, lean in to His leading and obey with a faith filled confidence believing that He WILL fulfill His promises to us!